CSAJ Students, among the Fifth Power Media Hackathon Winners

Three of the Chisinau School of Advanced Journalism students, gathered under the generic START, have tried their multimedia applications powers at the Fifth Power Media Hackathon, organized by the Independent Journalism Center at the end of June.

The contest lasted three days, and the mission of the 11 teams enrolled in the event was the development of multimedia applications that would facilitate the work of journalists and the interaction between them and cameramen, IT specialists. The SAJ students’ team, consisting of Corina Seremet, Hristina Urîtu and Maria Tanasiev, proposed the development of a multimedia tool that involves the combination of audio, sound and video. For this project, the jury consisting of Gulim Amirkhanova, editor-in-chief of Три точки. Знай, что смотришь, Internews regional manager; Angela Vacaru, Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, Internews; Tatiana Etco, journalist at Radio Free Europe; Dan Iftodi, IT specialist and Nicu Cuschevici, editor, RISE Moldova, has named the START team as one of the four winning teams of the contest.

For creating applications, the teams were awarded $ 4250 each. The projects will be finalized in the coming months, after which they will be officially presented to the large public.

For our students, participating in this contest was an additional opportunity to demonstrate and develop at the same time the practical skills acquired during the studies and to accumulate new, complementary ones. “During the Media Hackathon we realized that if you want to get something more, you have to get out of your own limits and patterns. It is necessary to abandon your fixed ideas, to be ready for something daring and to listen to 70% mentors’ advice, and the other 30% are for your intuition”, said Hristina Uritu.

For further details, visit the website http://media-azi.md/